Friday 1 February 2013

Two contrasting stories about money

REMEMBER that campaign from back in 2005, I think? Make Poverty History.

There was a big gig at Hyde Park and all the usual suspects were there playing to highlight a cause to do just that.

That laudible but ultimately impossible dream was brought to mind sharply this week when I read a story that just disgusted me.

I guess many of you would have seen the story of a 28-year-old woman who went on an evening out with her pals at a London nightclub - and racked up a bar bill of, and I'm looking at a copy of the till receipt prinited in Thursday's paper, £30,676.25.

Absolutely obscene.

Heiress Tamara Ecclestone was the partygoer in question as her night out consisted of 28 bottles of Cristal champagne (£450 per bottle), two magnums of Cristal, one Jeroboam of Cristal and seven bottles of Cristal Rose.

Yep, do you get the impression she's got a thing for Cristal?

And flaunting her ridiculous wealth made possible as she's the daughter of billionaire F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

In Ms Ecclestone's defence, she did give a generous tip - £4001.25 - but the whole story made me so angry.

You wonder with that sort of behaviour what world individuals like Ms Ecclestone inhabit because it certainly isn't the one that I know.

So yeah, Make Poverty History? You're having a laugh, right?

That story really angered me but within hours there was something to cheer the heart.

I'm no fan of the Beckhams - especially "Posh" whose miserable face gets on my nerves every time I see that bloody pout.

But I was delighted to read that David is donating all of his £3.4m salary for joining PSG on Transfer Deadline Day to a kids' charity in the French capital.

Of course, he doesn't need the money as he and his missus are millionaires many times over.

But the principal of his action was spot-on and it would be nice to think this would kick-start other people in a similar position to follow suit.

What a week's wages, for instance, of a leading player for Everton or Liverpool could do to the grassroots footy in Liverpool. I've seen with my own eyes some of the facilities the children have to use in Merseyside and to think £50,000 was on its way to helping schemes would be so welcome.

I'd like to think poverty would be made a thing of the past one glorious day, but although David Beckham's action was so good I fear tales like that of Ms Ecclestone's obscene excesses will never go away, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment